Empowering people and building peaceful societies: Cooperation between the European Union and the United Nations Development Programme in the Arab States region
The publication showcases results of the many initiatives carried out by the EU and UNDP in the Arab States, impacting the lives of millions of people across the region. It demonstrates how UNDP and the EU are natural partners, sharing the same values and objectives for advancing peace and security, human rights and development. A guiding principle of the partnership is the joint effort to help countries eradicate poverty and achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), a set of 17 universal goals to achieve a more peaceful, prosperous and sustainable future by 2030.
- Together we supported nationally-driven processes for drafting, signing and dissemination of Tunisia’s new constitution, a vital step in strengthening that country’s democratic institutions.
- We have worked in close partnership with Tunisia to enhance the rule of law in the country. We sponsored 2 national consultations and dialogues across 24 governorates that allowed over 5,000 citizens, 300 civil society organizations and 320 academics to participate in the drafting process for the new constitution.
- We helped build the capacity of the Tunisian parliament.
- We supported the Truth and Dignity Commission (TDC) with its preparation of cases and the training of its staff and magistrates.
- In Tunisia, the Joint Migration and Development Initiative helps manage the on-going migrant flows out of North Africa. The initiative improves cooperation between officials in the migration and development sectors, aswell as bolsters the leadership skills of local authorities.